Olympia Monthly Meeting “State of the Meeting Report for 2016”
We live in a time when our witness as Quakers in our community, country and the world is becoming all the more necessary. 2016 was a year of transitions and preparing and making space for what may come next. We have:
- sold the “B Street” Meeting House which is freeing up time, energy, and money
- explored “what is our call to action” in approving a Minute committing our Meeting to understand “our part” and seek to redress institutional racism
- held retreats and threshing sessions to better understand what our leading and call to service is as a community
- reflected on how we budget and use our resources. As part of this work we recommitted to our original vision of making our Meetinghouse a vibrant resource for the community and committed to increasing our investments in nurturing our children and growing our Quaker witness in the world.
- Formed an Action Team to support the work of Friends Committee on National Legislation on the local level
- Added a monthly Men’s potluck Saturday breakfast to the already existing Women’s potluck Friday dinner.
- Formed two monthly Intentions groups to provide support to each other in our life work
- Formed a working group on racism to follow up on an approved Minute on Racism
- Added a spiritual learning monthly program drawing upon members’ experiences
- Hosted a well-attended Quaker Lobby Day with Quaker Voice
All the while, we have been supporting what has brought us strength and joy by:
- providing a safe and welcoming spiritual community each week
- investing in a sound system so that all can hear and share in our worship
- nurturing our children’s program by proving child care, religious education, and social activities for infants through high school and young adults
- sustaining our witness in the world through active participation and financial support for Friend Uganda Safe Transport, Friendly Water for the World, and this spring’s Peace Quest conference of Friends Peace Teams which brought Quakers involved in peacemaking to Olympia from around the world.
- offering financial support to Members and attenders who are providing witness and leadership in Quaker organizations such as Friends General Conference, Friends World Committee on Consultation, Friends Committee on National Legislation, and Quaker Earthcare Witness.
Olympia Monthly Meetings budget for 2017 includes major new initiatives including
- an increase in the children’s program budget to hire a part-time staff by July 1 to coordinate programs.
- support for workshops and training to address institutional racism
- investments to maintain and improve the Meetinghouse
- a commitment to tithe each month’ general donations to a different pre-selected charitable organization
OLYMPIA MONTHLY MEETING MEMBERSHIP ACTIVITY 4/1/16 – 3/31/17
Number of adult members reported last year: 65
Additions to membership
Transferred in: 0
Jr Friends taking adult membership: 0
Losses in Membership
By transfer out: 0
By withdrawal or release: 0
By death: 1 – Jean Lohmann (9/26/16)
–> Total members as of March 31, 2017: 69
Additional Attender Tally
Sojourning Members (recognized by minutes): 0
Children Tally (under 21, not adult members)
Grade School: 3
Jr. Friends: 5